Saturday, July 28, 2007

Arrived in Spain

We have arrived in Malaga Spain. The flight was okay. It was packed and the seats were tiny. Omar was good though, he sat on my lap for the three hours, and he let me sleep for a bit. I had 3 hours of sleep the previous night, and I am still exhausted. We got out of the plane to find my stroller was at baggage claim. We had to walk so far to get there, with me carrying an overtired toddler, two bags and portable seat. We got the stroller and the travel bag but the stroller is missing its cupholde now, what a bummer. I tried waiting to see if it would show up but Omar was falling to pieces. It was awful. I finally got him calmed down a bit in the bathroom and into the stroller and he fell asleep right away. I can’t figure this airport out, it is a lot different then described on the net. There is one hall for luggage and a café. I can’t find the rest of the airport. It is also wonderful that nobody speaks (or is willing to speak) english. I am at the café right now having some juice and a really old sandwich which cost eight dollars. I hope when we get into town it will be less expensive. I have to wait now for my friend Nina so we can rent a car and go to the house. Later tonight the rest of the gang will arrive and then the reunion will start. It will be very strange to see everyone after 11 years, but I am looking forward to it. There will be one little boy Omar’s age so I am very glad he will have someone to play with.
Although I haven’t gone out of the airport yet, I don’t think there is air conditioning in here as it is very hot and muggy. I think I have to change out of my clothes to shorts before we leave the airport.
I don’t have much to report other than that. Omar is still sleeping very poorly at night. We were up the previous night until 1am again, my dad and his wife came and we all went into town, did a little shopping and sat in a coffeeshop/bakery and had some wonderful coffee with pastries. Boy, how I am going to miss that. Omar and I haven’t been eating much, not really had an appetite for some reason, I hope that will change when we get back to Holland after Spain, as there are still so many things I want to taste before I go back home to the US.
My brother drove us to the airport this morning and Omar had a hard time saying goodbye to him. He kept giving him kisses and was waving a lot. He will be so surprised to see him again next week.
Will write more later tonight, I can’t wait to see what the house looks like. I hope it is nice, or at least clean...

July 29, 12.08am I am glad to say we are settled and Omar has finally fallen asleep about 5 minutes ago. This has been such a long day, my friend Nina came out an hour later so we waited for 4 hours. Then we had to take a bus to the car rental, from the car rental we had to drive to the meeting point for the house. It didn’t take us long to get there, but the person meeting us didn’t speak a single word of English. Although I did bring a translator he didn’t have the patience for it. Finally we understood to follow him to the house. We drove through town, which was beautiful, then we took a turn on some dirt road, and I thought that was a bit odd. We kept on going until we took another turn on what didn’t even look like a road to me, heading into the mountains. I told Nina to lock all doors just in case. It was all so weird. The ‘road’ was very scary as there were ravines on both sides, I was very nervous, but we took it slow. We finally got to the house, which is beautiful but lays in the middle of no where. There is no street, just that path. If I would have known I would not have picked the house. It took us another hour and a half to converse with the man and get directions to the supermarket etc. Then it was time to pick up the rest of the girls at the airport. We made a quick trip to the supermarket then I stayed at the house to feed and change Omar. He totally had it. We both hadn’t eaten, well, Omar had a muffin in the morning and we both lived off of teddy grahams and water. The trip to the airport took a long time due to heavy traffic, so I didn’t get to see the girls until after 9pm. Two of them went back out to get dinner and I got reacquainted with the rest. It is funny, but it seems it has only been a couple of weeks instead of 11 years. Everybody looks the pretty much the same except we are not girls anymore, but women. Omar was very excited to have a friend to play with. The other two girls came back with pizza around 11pm and it tasted so good! Omar was still awake of course, he didn’t even seem tired. We have a big pool in the back yard and Omar keeps trying to go in it. I have to keep a real close eye on him as it is not fenced in. Tomorrow we are finally going to go for a swim and explore town. I can’t wait! I am really excited! I have to go to bed now as it is 12.30am and I really need to catch up on some sleep. Oh, and it is hot here, 91 degrees with not a cloud in the sky. The house has no air conditioning so you can imagine how hot it is right now.

No comments: