Monday, July 16, 2007

Hermit crabs

Omar has three hermit crabs now, two small ones and one big one. the small ones are the size of a quarter(or a euro), the big one is the size of a softball? Maybe a bit smaller. As I did some research these little critters require quite a bit of work! I wasn't anticipating that. But alas, we got them a bigger tank and filled it with the appropriate things, including a humidity and temperature gauge. They seem happy, the big one already changed to a bigger shell and now seems huge. (and heavy)
After thinking long and hard about what we are going to call them we decided to go with cool dutch boy names. (As I am not sure if any of them are female and I don't really care for finding out)
So the big one is called Daan, the smaller two are Sjors and Koen. It was a toss if the big one was going to be Daan or Koen but after he escaped out of the cage last night he has become Daan. This morning I went to check on them and I couldn't find Daan, I thought maybe he buried himself but my cats were acting weird so I knew something was up. Although nothing was stirred on top of the cage. Then I noticed crab poop on the top corner, and the knife block had fallen down. I really didn't want to find a dead crab with limbs everywhere so I very carefully peeked behind the cage and there he was, intact and just staring at me. I guess the knife block caught his fall and his big shell protected him from the claws of my cats. What a little dare devil, I couldn't believe it. Now I stuck some heavy things on top of the lid, hopefully he will stay inside tonight. Here he is, mischievous Daan.

Isn't he huge? He is as big as the hut for the little crabs!

Omar really hasn't seen much of them as they have been hiding. I read that is a common thing to do as they need to de-stress from being taken away from their natural habitat to a dealer then pet store and finally my home. My cats are really fascinated by them though as the crabs come out at night to eat, drink and play. Here they are just staring at them walking around.
All we need now is a crab the size of Daan so he has a play mate and a good spot for the tank where the cats can't jump on it but Omar can still enjoy watching the crabs.
The fun thing about them is that they eat just about anything we eat (besides dairy) So they have had carrots, pears and dried fruit and tonight they are having banana.
They can live up to 15 years in good living conditions so that sounds promising!

I know, not much about Omar but these are his first pets, so I thought I'd mention them!




1 comment:

Laura F. said...

Wow! 15 years? That's a long time with a hermit crab. I had one as a child, but I can't remember how long he survived. I think he actually shed his shell and because we had him in a wire cage, got out and lost in the house.

BTW, Daan is HUGE!!!