Friday, November 23, 2007

What a big boy!

Well, he is doing it! Omar is sleeping in his own bed in his own room!
I think it helped that he picked the bed out himself and was part of the decision making.

We started on Wednesday evening. He went to sleep without a problem but woke up about three hours later with a nasty cold and fever. The rest of the night I kind of had to lay with him and we were both miserable. At 4.30am we both crawled into my bed and barely got any sleep. Around 9am we finally did fall asleep for about three hours.

Yesterday night he was very excited to go sleep in his own bed, and crawled in it right away. Then he got scared for a minute and tried to go to my bed. I told him that is mommy's bed and he had to sleep in Omar's bed. So he got back in and said goodnight to all the trains on his bed sheets and went to sleep. No crying! He did wake up every hour and I took him back into my bed around 1.30am. Its not that he was crying to get out, he was so miserable with his cold, he had a hard time breathing and wanted me near. I let him sleep on my shoulder and he was able to breathe better.

Today he was very tired and was ready for his nap at 10am. He went straight for his room and it took him a good hour to fall asleep, but when he did, he slept until 1pm! I was able to put all the laundry away in my room and just have my bedroom for me. It was really nice. When he woke up he was very proud of himself that he slept in his own bed and I made sure to make a big deal out of it.

I am also very proud of him, he has always known our bed as his, but maybe he was ready for his own bed. He absolutely hated his crib and he would cry and cry all night long in it.
I don't know, maybe he thought it was a prison or something haha

Anyway, I am very happy and I think Ramy will be nicely surprised to see this change when he gets back from his trip.

I was reading an article today about a family that also has their child sleeping with them. The only difference is that the child is seven years old. I can't imagine having Omar in my bed until he is seven and the author said she is not kicking him out anytime soon. When I started reading the story I was like, thank God we are not the only ones! But towards the end I thought, lets not end up like them!

What a big boy!


1 comment:

Mom101 said...

HUGE congrats, mama! My daughter was in bed with us for just a year and it damn near killed me. He looks very happy and cozy - and no doubt you are too.

(and thanks so much for the link.)