Friday, May 2, 2008

Pyramids and horses

Isis seems to be a bit better now. I took her to a vet the day before yesterday. It was very hard to find and with traffic it took us an hour and a half. There was no sign on the building or on the door of the office which was so strange. Isis got really hot in the taxi and was barely breathing, it was quite scary.
At the vet she did great, I think she was just too sick to put up a fight. The vet here is something you probably cannot even imagine if you are used to the ones in the US or Europe for that matter.
We walked in and it was small and dirty looking. It had 5 billion pictures of dogs on the wall and not a single reference to any other animal. Then a woman took us to a side room that looked a bit more like a medical room. The doctor was standing behind the examining table with a cigarette in one hand and a lighter and cell phone in the other. He seemed annoyed we disturbed him.
He asked me what seemed to be the problem, I told him my cat had a seizure yesterday and after consulting with the vet back home we came to check her out.
He lit up his cigarette, then told me to put the cage on the table. He then asked me if it was a cat or a dog. Hello? Didn’t I just say it was a cat and can’t you see she is right in front of you?
He then asked me again, what seems to be the problem? I was really annoyed at that point.
I got her out of the cage, as his assistant was scared of the cat. He then took her temperature and gave her a bunch of medicines for fever and parasites. He never even looked at her or checked her, nothing.
Her fever is gone now but she is still a bit out of it. I am not taking her back there though, the guy was rude. I asked him what he gave her and he refused to tell me. He got really annoyed and kind of yelled at me that if I take her in for the next three days he will write me a report.
Whatever. At least he didn’t kill her.


Ramy took us horseback riding at the pyramids yesterday. It was a surprise and Omar and I were very excited!
When we were almost there, some guy jumped into our taxi and told us his stables are the best. So we went there. We got two horses and Omar was really excited. I got on the horse and he wanted to get on too, so I put him on with me. My saddle had a big metal ring sticking up in front so we were really cramped and I decided to give Omar to Ramy as he had a normal saddle.
We then rode off. Omar was so happy, he was petting the horse while we were trotting, saying good boy and he was laughing the whole time.
It took us about fourty five minutes to get to the pyramids. Omar was in awe. He couldn’t stop talking about how big the rocks were. He went for a little ride on the horse all by himself there. He loved it and I am very proud of him!

There was a guy there with his camel and he tried to get Omar on it but Omar was too busy with his horse and had no interest in riding the camel.
I then took him on the pyramid with me, it was hard to climb as the big square rocks were the same size as him.

When we were saddling up to ride to the sphinx, our guide got into a fight with the tourist police that was at the pyramids. As we had gone ahead, we heard screaming and then he came riding up behind us fast. My horse got scared and started galloping which scared me as we were descending a big slab of rock. I got him to slow and then the police had ran after our guide and were trying to pull him off the horse. They were very angry at him and were trying to beat him and arrest him. They got close to Omar and his horse got scared which in turn made me panic and started yelling at them. Ramy also yelled at them and finally they let him go.
Apparently, they wanted 50 pounds as they were the tourist police and they can demand whatever they want. Our guy refused and made them very angry.
It was pretty scary! While descending to the sphinx a group of wild looking horses came by and got Ramy’s horse a bit out of control, but luckily Ramy handled it well and him and Omar were fine. I am so glad I put Omar with Ramy as I am not a good rider and we both would have gotten hurt.
Omar then got excited to see the Sphinx, he recognized it from one of his Little Einstein shows.
We chose not to go in it as we had rode for an hour and a half and we were all very tired.
It was a great family outing!

No comments: