Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Getting adjusted

Yesterday we went to the Gezira Club. It is like a Country Club sort of. They have any kind of sport you can think of. We had lunch there and took Omar to the children’s section which is huge. It is this incredible playground that seems to never end with little places to sit where waiters will get you anything you want, surrounded with tropical trees which make you feel like you are on vacation in an exotic resort. Omar had a blast and needless to say it was almost impossible to leave.
We stayed there for the whole afternoon and left around 8pm. It was very relaxing.
The weather has also been great, it is in the low 70s during the day but in the evening it can get quite chilly.
Getting Omar to bed hasn't been easy, he would not fall asleep until 3am!
I really hope his jet lag wears off soon.

Today we went to the Club again, had some lunch and went to the play area while Ramy worked out in the gym there. It was another lovely day and I was very excited as Omar finally ate a decent meal and was fever free.
We spent most of the day there before heading to the mall to grab some dinner. I do love how everything you order here is made fresh. It does mean you have to wait a bit longer for it but it is well worth the wait.

So what do I think of Egypt so far? As I have only been here a couple of days, it is rather hard for me to make up my mind. I do like the weather, the laid back attitude, how they treat foreigners like kings and queens, and I love the food. Most of the food I get in Holland is sold here, so lots of yummie stuff!
I like how there is a taxi on every street and they cost only a buck or two. Who needs a car then?
I do not like the pollution, there are so many cars on the road, they make up their own rules on where they drive and when they go. Traffic signs, stop lights are obsolete. They turn a two lane road into a three lane road whenever they feel like it. Oddly enough nobody runs into each other, and I haven’t seen any accidents. This city has 18 million people living in it, it feels a bit crowded!
Nobody wears seat belts or uses car seats. Omar has been on my lap on every taxi ride so far.
As there is so much traffic, everyone drives slow so I am not too worried about safety. Another funny thing is that in a public rest room a toilet lady sits at the door with one roll of toilet paper. She hands out a couple of pieces of paper to you when you go, sometimes they make you pay for it sometimes I feel obligated to pay. But why they don’t just put a roll of paper in each stall puzzles me. If she wants to make money then why not put up a sign to pay 25 cents to use the facility like they do in Europe?

I am trying very hard to get Omar back in routine, gave him a bath after dinner and tried to get him in bed. He finally fell asleep around 1am, crying his eyes out. Woke up a million times crying saying his face hurts. I now think he must have an ear infection as he keeps pulling his ear and jolting his head to the side. I gave him some motrin and he is finally sleeping. I can't sleep now so I am sitting here at 5.30 in the morning updating the blog. I guess I have to find a doctor first thing when he wakes up as he is in so much pain.
I am sure this will be interesting. Will keep you posted!

No comments: